Hundreds killed in Nigeria floods, more than 1.4 million displaced
Nigeria — At least 37 people are dead, and more than 1.4 million have been displaced after the north of Nigeria faced its worst floods in more than a decade.
The storm hit a city near the river Volta that had been under a severe drought.
At least 37 people have died in the flooding, making it the deadliest natural disaster in the state of Kebbi, the regional state government said on Twitter.
The death toll from Saturday night’s flood has been updated to 37 people following “unforeseen circumstances”.
It is unclear how many more people remain homeless, but Kebbi Governor Chris Ngige told the BBC they believe 50 people are dead, although a number is currently being withheld.
In neighbouring Benue state, a further 713 people were missing, with one of them being a 14-year-old girl who was swept away during the deadly floods.
“We are still working to establish the fate of her body,” he said. “We are also still waiting for a helicopter to rescue her.”
In the city of Port Harcourt, the United Nations office there estimated around 6,000 people had been displaced as the flooding took “full control” of a major roads linking the major north-south roads leading to the main city.
Most of the people had gone to the area to seek shelter from the floods, and by Sunday had been returned to their homes, a statement on the UN office’s website said.
The UN said on Friday that floodwaters had engulfed and isolated almost half the city, resulting in the deaths of more than 150 people and displacing close to 300,000 people.
The water had inundated at least 2.7 million acres of land, the office said. Floods have been reported in 10 out of 13 states, and affected areas include the capital Kano, and Benue and Plateau states.
More than 150 people have been killed while